POSITION: GENERAL COUNSEL
JOB SUMMARY: Executive leader for all legal, governance, compliance and risk management items. Lead a staff of approximately 12 professionals in the legal, compliance and enterprise risk
REPORTS TO: President
WORK SCHEDULE: Standard business hours, Monday through Friday, with a willingness to monitor email and other systems during nonbusiness hours in case of a critical matter. Additional hours may be occasionally required for travel or meet time-sensitive deliverables and deadlines.
WORK LOCATION: Local candidates or candidates willing to relocate to Sioux Falls, SD preferred. However, remote candidates will be considered, provided the candidate is able to travel to the main office and has experience effectively performing similar duties and responsibilities in a remote status, including managing people. Central Payments operates a hybrid work-from office
model, whereby local staff work from our Sioux Falls or Dell Rapids, SD offices daily but a summer hours work schedule is available and all employees are allotted 50+ work-from-home days per year.
CONTACT: Jen Miller, Director of Employee Success email@example.com
ABOUT US: Visit https://www.central-payments.com/our-story and fallsfintech.com
TO APPLY: Visit https://www.central-payments.com/careers
TRAVEL: Travel is expected to average 4+ trips per year, ranging from 1-2 nights/trip. If the candidate is remote, an additional 6+ trips per year to and from Central Payments’ locations may be necessary for 3-4 nights per trip.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in a reputable law firm or as in-house counsel.
- At least 5 years of recent experience in financial services law.
- 3+ years of recent experience in payments, fintech, prepaid cards, deposit-products, remittances and other forms of electronic payments, experience in credit and crypto/blockchain technologies a plus.
- Experience managing relationships with bank regulatory agencies, serving as primary point of contact for regulatory examinations and inquiries.
- High level of comfort and significant experience with negotiating, reviewing, and/or drafting industry standard contractual arrangements with distribution partners/program managers and vendors involved in selling, marketing, distribution, or supporting financial products and services.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements for mitigating legal and contractual risk.
- Significant comfort with payments technology, particularly as it relates to reviewing and drafting contracts involving complex technology solutions. Specific experience related to ensuring inclusion of appropriate service levels, information security requirements, and intellectual property/licensure rights a plus.
- Experience conducting complex legal research and drafting opinions or summaries of such research on financial services-related topics, with an appreciation for changing regulatory and legislative climates.
- Subject matter expertise in the consumer protection rules, regulations, and guidance documents issued by regulatory agencies and applicable to the following products: prepaid cards, debit cards, savings accounts, remittance products, gift cards, and ACH.
- Familiarity with card network rules and NACHA rules.
- Proven ability to assess all types of risk and implement appropriate contractual controls to mitigate such risk without unduly jeopardizing financial performance or operational efficiency.
- Comfort with concepts and general workings of technology, data file exchanges, and payment platforms, particularly as it relates to transaction processing, raw payment data elements, and API connectivity between multiple unrelated systems.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, particularly relating to clearly and concisely explaining complex concepts and identified risks, as well as advocating for specific courses of action.
- Excellent judgement, analytical, and decision making skills.
- Highest degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Strong managerial, leadership, and team-building skills, with a history of managing groups of 20+ people.
- Proven commitment to employee mentoring and development.
- Experience working in automated workflow and project management tools (specifically Smartsheet.com) a plus.
- Leading all contract negotiations, drafting (or delegation of drafting duties), and reviewing for all Central Payments partners and vendors.
- Manage engagements with external law firms to ensure subject matter expertise, best in class service, and adherence to budgets, as well as formal and informal/expected service levels.
- Monitor legislative, regulatory, and litigation trends and advocating possible changes internally to better insulate the business from undue risk associated with these emerging trends.
- Primary point of contact for any legal proceeding or potential litigation involving Central Payments.
- Serve as a member of the Central Payments Executive Committee, which meets twice weekly to discuss and act on strategic initiatives, company financial performance, staffing needs, and overall company activities and operational performance.
- Serve as secretary to the Central Payments Board of Directors.
- Member of and major contributor to the Central Payments Governance Committee, made up of executives plus members of the Board of Directors.
- Interact regularly with members of the Board of Directors, including presenting risk management-related information at Board meetings or other governance committee meetings.
- Lead a staff of approximately 12 professionals within each of the relevant departments identified above.
- Direct supervisor of three VPs/AVPs who serve as department heads for compliance, enterprise risk and legal.
- Monitor and report on risks within the business accordingly to company's enterprise risk management program, including continued buildout of CPs “3P-ERM” framework.
- Ensure all contracts and associated notice and termination periods are logged and tracked for critical deadlines.
- Consult frequently with partners and vendors as SME for risk management, methods for mitigating risk, and emerging legal and regulatory trends.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all regulatory agencies and author any correspondence to any agency.
- Executive owner of a significant list of key policies and procedures and ensure each remains current and relevant to company’s risk management functions.
- Contribute meaningfully to cross departmental functions, including: incident monitoring, data normalization, new product development, new program implementations/enhancements, budget preparation, vendor SLA conformance, and training.
- Represent Central Payments at various external trade association meetings and conferences, including filling CPs board seat on the Financial Fraud Consortium.
- Perform constructive and detailed employee evaluations of direct reports and ensure other managers in the risk department do the same for subordinates.
Tips if You are Contacted to Interview:
- If you would like to research Central Payments ahead of an interview, we highly recommend that you take time to visit our website at www.central-payments.com and our LinkedIn company page. There are informational videos and links to podcasts under the “Our Story” tab that will help you understand our company, our values, and our approach to “Making Financial Experiences Better”. In addition, our Fintech Brews podcast is a good source of background on us, particularly the first three episodes. Episodes 1-3 do a good job of explaining who we are, how we got here and our vision for the future. Episode 1 gives a backdrop on Central Payments and Central Bank of Kansas City, how it all fits together, etc. Episode 2 talks mostly about Falls Fintech, our fintech accelerator that drives a lot of positive PR and new deal activity. Episode 3 discusses our Open*CP Fintech API Marketplace and our approach to what we like to call “REAL” Banking-as-a-Service. Each episode is only about 25 minutes. Link to all episodes in video format. Link to all episodes in podcast/audio format.
- Central Payments’ primary business is establishing consumer deposit accounts, issuing incentive and rebate cards, and transferring/remitting funds via ACH and other means. Prepaid cards make up a significant portion of our business. If you are not familiar with prepaid cards, we recommend that you purchase a Visa, MasterCard or Discover-branded, general-purpose, reloadable prepaid card (not a gift card) at any major retailer, load a small amount of money, register the account/activate the card, login to the account center online, and conduct transactions. While the card you purchase will likely not be issued by Central Payments, it will still help you understand the product in general, its features, and benefits.
- To better understand the traits we look for when interviewing candidates please visit: “Is Central Payments a Fit for Me?” and what it means to “Be Essential”.
Central Payments LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Central Payments to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Background check is required for all positions.